Baby Talk is a group run by Family Insight for 6 weeks informing mothers and carers of babies under 18 months on different topics including the importance of play, nutrition, child development, child safety, attachment and bonding, brain development and early literacy.
During the programme we endeavour to have guest speakers such as a child and family health nurse, a nutritionist and a speech pathologist. The group is very informal and flexible, and is directed by what the parents want to know more about. Baby Talk is a great way to engage with families with young babies and support them in what can be a really challenging time, and reassure them that they are doing a fantastic job.
• How your child learns about their world
• What toys are good for your child
• How to play with your child
• What is attachment and why is it so important
• How your child grows and changes
• Play experiences by age
• Health Nurse visit: teething, biting, solids, tummy time and your health
• Importance of literacy
• Why is reading, singing and talking to your baby so important
• What to read and sing to your bub
• How to make your home safe for your mobile baby
• Awareness around poisons, stairs and pool safety.
• Your child’s health and nutritional needs
• Creating a book of memories from your little ones last 6 weeks during the course.
We have had numerous positive feedback from families, all the mums said they found the sessions informative and relaxed. They reported forming a stronger bond with their babies and forming
We have had numerous positive feedback from families, all the mums said they found the sessions informative and relaxed. They reported forming a stronger bond with their babies and forming friendships within the group.
Families also reported gaining information about their baby’s development and being able to link in with the services provided in their local community, as a positive outcome of attending the group. They especially liked the handouts each week to read at home and refer back to.
“Having a break from it just being baby and me, watching her grow and interact with others, feeling like I had support and information…and I loved the scrapbooking”
“This helped me comprehend a lot more about bubs and many things that will make me more confident”
“Great times, great info and nice to meet other mums”
For more information on our Baby Talk program or to find out about upcoming programs in your area please go to our What's On page or contact the Parenting and Early Years team on (02) 4961 0700 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.